New Spay/Neuter Initiative
In an effort to help pets and families, and reduce cat overpopulation, Heart2Heart is piloting a program to pay the costs for spaying or neutering of cats and kittens at the Alter-Ations CATsNIP Clinic in Viroqua. It is available to income-eligible La Crosse County residents. People who are interested in getting this assistance can contact Coulee Region Humane Society. The application is available here.
Heart2Heart Eligibility Guidelines
Grant applications are available here or at Coulee Region Humane Society. Applicants must take the completed application to Coulee Region Humane Society where staff will review it to determine whether eligibility guidelines are met. If guidelines are met, the application can be considered for a grant award.
The following criteria will be used to determine if funds will be awarded for an animal’s care:
*The financial need of the animal owner.
*The opinion of the treating veterinarian as to the medical necessity, urgency, and prognosis
for the treatment needed.
*The demonstrated capability of the owner to take responsibility for his/her animal.
All funding requests for all domestic companion animals will be considered at Heart2Heart’s discretion. We will NOT cover farm animals, animals owned by breeders, or animals used for research or commercial purposes of any kind.
BASIC ELIGIBILITY GUIDELINES - PLEASE READ CAREFULLY!
All information is required. Only completed applications will be considered for funding.
1. The applicant must be seeking assistance for necessary medical care of a pet.
2. Our grants are typically $100, not to exceed $400. Grant decisions are based on
several factors including: medical necessity, financial need, available funding, and eligibility.
3. Heart2Heart grants are given directly to the veterinarian who provides the service. Funds are never given directly to the grant recipient. Funding pledged will be available for 30 days
4. The applicant must obtain a diagnosis and treatment plan before applying and provide a complete cost estimate from your veterinarian on medical care needed for his/her pet.
5. The applicant must have investigated other financial options and provide proof of financial need. Evidence of financial need can be demonstrated by participation in programs such as SSI, unemployment, Wisconsin Works.
6. The applicant will be asked to provide us with a photo of his/her pet.
7. The applicant must agree to allow us to include any, all or part of your story and a picture of your pet in our promotional materials. (We will not include your real name.)
8. The applicant must live within La Crosse County.
9. It is expected that the applicant will bear some financial responsibility. A copay of $25 is required and the applicant is responsible for the balance of the veterinary bill over the grant amount.
Heart2Heart does not cover the following:
1. Reimbursement for already completed treatment or help with an outstanding bill.
2. Treatment if you have already have received assistance from Heart2Heart in the past 12
3. Aid for elective surgery (surgery not required for health).
4. Treatment for a pet who is terminally ill, with little or no chance of survival.
5. Routine dental cleaning.
6. Routine care - annual exams, spay/neuter.
Heart2Heart is not responsible for loss of pet due to any procedure performed.
Here are income guidelines to help you assess whether you are eligible for a grant.
A person or group of people, related or not, who usually (though not necessarily) live together and whose income and consumption of goods and services are related.
All sources of gross income, including overtime, in the household before any deductions are made. This also includes, but is not limited to, child support, unemployment, and Supplemental Security Income (SSI) payments