Coulee Region Humane Society is available by appointment only. This includes Heart2Heart applicants.*
Please click here for more information.
NEW! PET BOARDING GRANT
Heart2Heart Pet Lifeline NOW provides grants for the cost of boarding when there is an urgent need for boarding services to prevent surrender of a pet. Applications for this grant are available here and through the Coulee Region Humane Society.
In an effort to help pets and families,Heart2Heart offers an $80.00 grant that can be used towards a spay/neuter surgery for eligible applicants. No co-payment is required. It is available to income-eligible La Crosse County residents. People who are interested in getting this assistance can contact Coulee Region Humane Society.
Veterinary grants are available to help provide financial support for urgent and necessary veterinary care. A $25 co-payment is required for emergency medical care grants. Applications for this grant are available here and through the Coulee Region Humane Society.
TRANSITIONAL HOUSING PET OWNER ASSISTANCE
Financial assistance is available to help provide income eligible pet owners when moving into government housing that requires pet licensing. There is no co-payment for qualifying applicants. The application is available here and through the Coulee Region Humane Society.
The following criteria will be used to determine if funds will be awarded:
● The financial need of the animal owner.
● The opinion of the treating veterinarian as to the medical necessity, urgency, and
prognosis for the treatment needed.
● The urgent need for pet boarding services to prevent surrender of the animal.
● The demonstrated capability of the owner to take responsibility for his/her animal.
How it works.
Coulee Region Humane Society assists Heart2Heart in awarding grants to applicants. Applicants must take their completed application to CRHS where staff will review it and, using H2H guidelines, determine eligibility. If guidelines are met, the application can be considered for a grant award. Only completed applications will be considered for funding. All requested information is required.
Grants typically are $350 but may be higher under certain circumstances. The grants are given directly to the veterinarian or boarding business providing the service. Funds are never given directly to the grant recipient. Funding will be available for 30 days after approval.
A Heart2Heart board member will call within two weeks of completion of veterinary services to check on the condition of pet. At that time, they may also be asked if they are willing to participate in a media interview to tell their story and promote Heart2Heart services.
All funding requests for all domestic companion animals will be considered at Heart2Heart’s discretion. We will not cover farm animals, animals owned by breeders, or animals used for research or commercial purposes of any kind.
Heart2Heart Eligibility Guidelines
1. The applicant must live within La Crosse County.
2. The applicant must be seeking assistance for necessary medical care or emergency
boarding services for a pet.
3. For veterinary grants the applicant must obtain a diagnosis and treatment plan
before applying and provide a complete cost estimate from your veterinarian on
medical care needed for their pet.
4. For boarding services, the application must detail specific circumstances, boarding
time, and estimated cost from boarding business. Heart2Heart will cover, if needed,
required immunizations for boarding but will not exceed the maximum grant of
5. The applicant must have investigated other financial options and provide proof of
financial need. Evidence of financial need can be demonstrated by participation in
programs such as SSI, unemployment, Wisconsin Works.
6. The applicant will be asked to provide us with a photo of his/her pet and must agree to allow us to include any or all of their story and animal picture for promotional materials. (We will not include your real name.)
7. A co-pay of $25 is required and the applicant is responsible for any outstanding balance of the veterinary bill over the grant amount.
Heart2Heart does not cover the following:
Reimbursement for already completed treatment or help with an outstanding bill.
If you have already received assistance from Heart2Heart within the last 12 months.
Elective surgeries (surgeries not required for health.)
Treatment for a pet who is terminally ill, with little or no chance of survival.
Routine dental cleaning.
Additional routine care such as annual vet exams, vaccines, routine tests or screens.
Heart2Heart is not responsible for loss of pet due to any procedure or service performed.
Here are income guidelines to help you assess whether you are eligible for a grant.
A person or group of people, related or not, who usually (though not necessarily) live together and whose income and consumption of goods and services are related.
All sources of gross income, including overtime, in the household before any deductions are made. This also includes, but is not limited to, child support, unemployment, and Supplemental Security Income (SSI) payments